4 place Saint Louis, 78000 Versailles
1761 - François-Henri Clicquot
1829 - Louis-Paul Dallery
1840 - John Abbey
1863 - Aristide Cavaillé-Coll
1961 - Beuchet-Debierre
1987 - Théo Haerpfer
2018-20 - Lacorre & Muhleisen
Saint Louis de Versailles was built between 1743 and
1754. The architect was Jacques Hardouin-Mansart
de Sagonne (1711-1778), a grandson of the famous
architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart. In 1764 Louis-
François Trouard added the Chapelle de la
Providence (now the Chapelle des Catéchismes) to
the northern transept. In a graceful baroque style, it
also preserves a lovely collection of period paintings.
It served at first simply as the Saint Louis district
parish. It became a cathedral in 1848.
The organ was built by François-Henri Clicquot in
1759-1761 (45 stops and 4 manuals and a pedal with
a 'grand ravalement').
1829: Maintenance by Louis-Paul Dallery (addition of
a Bombarde at the GO).
1840: Maintenance by John Abbey (new wind supply).
1863: Renovation by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll: deletion of
the fourth manual, addition of a Swell with 8 stops,
replacement of several mutations and mixtures by
'symphonic' stops on the other manuals (a Gambe
and an Unda Maris on the Positif, a Gambe and a
Salicional on GO), a Barker machine for the GO,
several 'pédales de combinaisons', extention of
winchests from 50 to 54 notes for each manual and
renovation of the wind supply applying various
In the first half of the XXth century, works were
carried out by Mutin, Bossier and Costa-Duval.
In 1961, a restoration was performed by Beuchet-
Debierre: extension of manuals to 56 notes,
installation of a new 30-note pedalboard,
repositioning of the swell pedal, using a toespoon,
from the extreme right to the middle of the console.
On the Grand-Orgue, a poor Quinte, not from
Clicquot nor from Cavaillé-Coll, was replaced by a
new one, and a 4' Flûte replaced the second 4'
Prestant (which was relocated on the Swell). On the
Positif. Gambe and Unda Maris stops were replaced
by a 4' Flûte douce and a 1 3/5' Tierce, and a 1 1/3'
Larigot was added. An additional winchest was built
for the Swell to house the following stops: 8'
Principal, 4' Prestant, 2' Doublette, and Plein-Jeu.
In 1987 a thorough restauration was carried out by
Théo Haerpfer (Manufacture Lorraine de Grandes
Orgues), restoring the creation of Cavaillé-Coll in
Jean-Pierre Millioud, Christian Ott
Masses with organ
Sunday 11.00 AM
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME A-C